Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Lots of Small Steps

Nothing really noteworthy to photograph today. I had to put in a good eight hours on a paying job today and will probably do so each day the rest of this week. The weather is nice again, with sunshine and highs in the mid-50s to low 60s F. So I've got to use this opportunity to earn some cash while conditions permit. Despite this, there are lots of little parts I can make and steps I can take to prepare for assembling the hulls. This morning before leaving for work I moved the stems, which are now coated with epoxy, back out into the garage and brought the skegs inside to begin coating them while drinking my second cup of coffee. When I got back in this afternoon, that side was cured so I flipped them over and coated the other side. There will be a lot of this - coating and flipping, coating the other side, sanding between coats, and doing it all over again. Every part that goes into the boat will have a minimum of two coats of epoxy even before assembly begins.

Tonight I worked in the garage for awhile, using the table saw to rip up some Doug Fir stock into pieces to make the bunk and floor bearers which must be glued onto the bulkheads before assembly. I'm cutting these to length and labeling them as to which bulkhead they go on, then using the router to radius the bottom, exposed corner so there won't be any sharp edges inside the storage lockers down below the bunks. Making and installing all these bearers will be time consuming. After they are all in place I'll begin coating the bulkheads. This weekend I plan to be back at my main building site where the hull panels are stored. If weather permits, I'll spread those around on saw horses and whatever else I can find and start getting the epoxy coats on them.


tsunamichaser said...

Hey Scott it's looking good! It's fun to see how differently one can go about the process even with the same tools. I have the same router. One thing I did was glass the rudders with cloth before I added the cheeks. I figured that the rudders would be stronger that way. Also I didn't add the stem and stern cheeks until I was installing the upper side panels. I found that they needed a little adjustment. This can be done equally easy with them installed with a little router work. Same with the bunk bearers. All just different roads to travel.

Scott B. Williams said...

It is interesting how different many different approaches one can take to the same job. As the old saying goes: "there's more than one way to skin a cat..."

I was a bit concerned that the stem and stern cheeks might not line up just right when the hull panels are pulled together, but I went ahead and glued them on, because as you said, that can be adjusted later with a router (or a chisel or a circular saw set to the right depth).