Sunday, January 24, 2010

Good Weather for Fairing

We finally had some fine weather here this past week, after a prolonged cold spell.  I took the opportunity to get back to the filling and fairing process on the cabin tops.  If you recall from my last post way back when, all fiberglass sheathing has been done on the cabin tops and sides, and except for making the companionway hatches, all that remains is to fair, prime and paint.



I use a combination of wide drywall blades to spread the epoxy fairing compound, working off of a piece of scrap plywood for a palette. 



Here, the big fillet fairing in the coamings for the Bomar ventilation hatches is touched up with another pass of the filleting tool. 



The joint between the laminated plywood companionway coamings and the surrounding cabin roof gets a small fillet.  The coamings will also be sheathed in fiberglass to prevent checking and water penetration. 



Here, you can see large areas of fresh fairing compound spread on the aft cabin bulkhead and aft part of the roof.



Work on the boat has been sporadic and at a minimum over the last three months.  The primary reason has not been the cold, but rather the huge amount of work I've had to do to complete my latest book in time for the contract deadline.  That writing has been completed.  The manuscript was finished by January 1st and as of last night I just finished the revisions and final additions.  My publisher is rushing to get this book into print by the scheduled publication date of May 1.



Readers who have been following this blog from the beginning will realize that it was exactly three years ago today that I first posted here with photos of the first load of plywood and first parts cut out for the boat.  Three years would have seemed like a long time if I had thought it would take that long or longer when I started building.  But looking back on it, the time has passed so quickly that I don't know where it went.  The bottom line is that it really doesn't matter.  A project like this takes both time and money, and life is full of other commitments and distractions.  The important thing it that I'm still enjoying every hour I get to work on the boat, and I'm closer than ever to sailing it.  I'm expecting to get the final push to completion into high gear soon.


4 comments:

BoxerBoy said...

Go Scott! Three years in, and your beautiful cat is nearly ready for the sea. I am still reading your blog and enjoying it - and I'm glad to hear that you are still happy to work on the boat when your other commitments allow. Many thanks for the time you put in to keeping us all informed of progress.
Finally, congratulations on meeting the book deadline! All the best, from Chris in Paris, France

james said...

Hey Scott,its also been 3yrs since I started my Tiki here in Hawaii.The time definitly flys.My paint arrives this week..So many little jobs to still do..Jim

Georges said...

Bonjour Scott,

How much did you rise your cabin top.
Why did'nt you change the shape of the windows, according to the new cabin.
I am building the tiki 26 - 381, and your blog is a chance for me.
Thank you for you answers.

Bon courage.

Scott B. Williams said...

Hi Georges,

The cabin top is 3 inches above design height. The windows were changed to match the cabin, but in these photos they don't appear to be because of the distorted angle of the camera. If you scroll down to the post where one hull is rolled out of the shed, you can see the true shape of the windows better.